22 August, 2017

Sunny [써니] and A Letter to Momo

Hey all! I'm back again with two movies to share with all of you.

So these past two days I have watched two movies per day. The first one I watched on Sunday is called Sunny, which is a South-Korean film made in 2011. I normally do not watch Korean films and this is one of the first few that I ever watched. It was suggested to me online and I just happened to click the link and then I watched the whole movie. I have to say it was great and super good :)

It feels good to watch a movie about a clique of seven girls at a Korean high school, who were rather materialistic, fashionable (in my opinion) and having a wide range of personalities from one teenage girl to another. The film partially played back in time as the main character called Na-mi reminisced on her high school life at a new school which she transferred to, and how she started to get together with a group of girls to highlight her high school life with awesome memories with the group of people. Watching this movie just made me sad about my high school life, because mine is quite dull and not happy as hers :( haha oh well...


Now on to the next movie called A Letter to Momo; which I am quite excited to share here with you all. This movie features the main character called Momo, who moved to a small town with her mother and left Tokyo, where she and her family used to live at. Her father passed away before she came to the town. She arrived the town called Seto Inland Sea by ferry, and while riding on the sea, she had an incomplete letter which was addressed to her by her father. She had an argument with her dad before he passed away, and in his drawer is where she found the unfinished letter written "Dear Momo".

She has wondered what her father actually wanted to tell her in the letter. Her life at the small town became a little more interesting as three goblins from the sky fell onto her as droplets and that was how she can see them while the others can't (except for a boy's younger sister) since they accidentally touched her when they fell from the sky. As she interacted with them later on and still adapting to her new life at the town, she faced some situations which made her closer to the goblins, her mother as well as the boy named Yota who has a younger sister.

Though the movie might not intend to be a tear-inducing one, I actually became really emotional towards the end of the movie as she became closer to her mother and they learned to cope with the loss of a husband and a father together, which to me is really powerful. And what I really love about this movie, apart from its touching, stand alone  storyline and beautiful animation and sceneries, is its individuality and uniqueness; it's not to say that any other Japanese movies like Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are not, but this movie simply has a very unique touch to it which I really adore up close to my heart.

To finish up this blog, I have included five pictures from the movie which are very picturesque and artistic in my opinion, all of which come from the movie. 





All of the pictures above are screenshots from the movie A Letter to Momo, which were taken by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment