27 July, 2013

An Epic Game is an Epic Game

Aside from enjoying watching walkthroughs, I also have developed an interest in watching Let's Plays. I love watching Let's Plays for the commentaries and laughs.
 
Cry of Fear is quickly becoming one of my favourites after knowing it for just a month or two. It is eerie, mind blowing and it is what a horror game should made up of. The monsters and the atmosphere inside the game is horrifying and almost unimaginable, but the story made all of them almost believable; a turning head with a terrifying look and face, a tall creature and another disfigured being with chainsaws in their hands chasing after the protagonist known as Simon, and the weirdest yet most interesting thing I found in the game as I remembered, was the twisted bloody pathways that supposedly had defied gravity laws, taunting the players to their deaths as they are challenged to take every steps of moving forward with a huge amount of precaution so as to not fall into endless depths of darkness. Surrounding the bloody curvy pathways were people being imprisoned behind iron bars and cages, inflicting themselves to a grotesque standard.
 
I find the fact that the whole game was just merely a figment of the protagonist's imagination hard to believe, as it was just a story written by the protagonist during his recuperation from his sickness. I used to assume that the game was old, but when I actually made some research I was informed that it was a game from 2012. Odd, based on what I have seen and watched in the game as being old, and everything seemed to be operated manually like how they were used to be operated decades ago.
 
You see, the most probable reason to why I enjoy watching people playing horror games is due to the promisingly unusual experience that even I as a spectator can experience from the game itself. The solitary yet panicky sensation that I thought I could experience, assuming that's how the protagonist will feel when he or she is inside the game is always astoundingly new to me, which enables me to view things in a brand new perspective. Horror games are eye-openers for people who plays them or watches them being played. Moreover, we get the chance to dominate the threshold that has always prevented us from doing things that threatens their existence as thresholds. Having no imagination as a human being, we are learning from the values and concepts in horror games through experiences such as playing and watching them. From that, we are able to extend the limit that we initially and subconsciously set up in our minds so to not imagine further from the limit as they are not "socially acceptable in any way".

No comments:

Post a Comment